It’s no secret that Colorado’s Sixth Congressional District, held by Republican Mike Coffman, is one of the most competitive in the nation, so it should be no surprise that Rep. Nancy Pelosi and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has him in their sights. According to Roll Call, the DCCC announced its first 16 candidates in its “Red to Blue” program and Coffman’s seat is the second seat mentioned.
Other than noting that Sen. Morgan Carroll is the Democrat running in the district, Roll Call did not mention many specifics about the district. Oh, wait, not true. Roll Call also mentioned that the district Leans Republican, and it only leans Republican because Coffman has made it damn near impossible for any Democrat to unseat him because he is a hell of a campaigner.
Of the 16 targeted seats, just nine are challenges to sitting Members of Congress. Several on the list are there because the seats are open or were redistricted to be Democratic seats (great job, Florida!). Sitting Congressmen and Congresswomen include:
- Florida’s 26th Congressional seat, which is rated “Tossup” and is currently held by Republican Rep. Carlos Curbelo
- Iowa’s 1st District which is rated “Tilts Democrat” and is current held by Republican Rep. Rod Blum
- Illinois’ 10th District, rated “Tossup”, currently is held by Republican Rep. Robert Dold
- Maine’s 2nd District, rated “Tossup” is held by Republican Rep. Bruce Poliquin
- Michigan’s 7th District, rated “Tilts Republican”, is held by Republican Rep. Tim Walberg
- New Jersey’s 5th District, rated “Favored Republican”, is held by Republican Rep. Scott Garrett
- Texas’ 23rd District, rated “Tossup”, is held by Republican Rep. Will Hurd
- Utah’s 4th District, rated “Safe Republican”, is held by Republican Rep. Mia Love
- Virginia’s 10th District, rated “Leans Republican”, is held by Republican Rep. Barbara Comstock
Besides Coffman, the most interesting race is the fact that Pelosi is targeting Mia Love, a Republican superstar, who is in a “Safe Republican” district. If there’s anything that lefties love to hate, it’s bright, compelling women who choose the freedom of the Republican Party over the constraints of the Democratic Party. But, if Democrats want to plow money into a Safe Republican district instead of a competitive one, who are we to stop them?