Last night, despite all of the blustering and arguing between the two candidates, when reading the transcript, one theme jumps out. The debate last night was an indictment of President Obama’s inability to lead and his failed administration, all spoken by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Period.
As Romney pointed out last night: “This is a president who has not been able to do what he said he’d do.” Below are just a few examples.
Who wanted Detroit to go bankrupt again?
- “Well, the president took Detroit bankrupt. You took General Motors bankrupt. You took Chrysler bankrupt. So, when you say that I wanted to take the auto industry bankrupt, you actually did.”
Punish the oil producers:
- “[Any increase] in drilling came from the Bakken Range in North Dakota. What was [the president’s] participation there? The administration brough a criminal action against the people drilling up there for oil, this massive new resource we have. And, what was the cost? Twenty or 25 birds were killed, adn they brought out a migratory bird act to go after them on a criminal basis.”
Middle Class Pain at the Pump:
- “When the president took office, the price of gasoline here in Nassau County was about a buck eighty-six per gallon. Now, it’s four bucks a gallon.”
Middle Class Pain Nearly Everywhere, Thanks Mr. President:
- “And the resaon I want middle-income taxpayers to have lower taxes is because middle-income taxpayers have been buried over the past four years. You’ve seen, as middle-income people in this country, incomes go down $4,300 per family even as gasoline prices have gone up to $2,000. Health insurance premiums – up $2,500. Food prices up, utility prices up. The middle-income families in America have been crushed over the last four years.”
- “A recent study has shown that people in the middle class will see $4,000 per year higher taxes as a result of the spending and borrowing of this administration.”
- “He said that by now middle-income families would have a reduction in their health insurance premiums by $2,500 per year. It’s gone up by $2,500 per year. And, if Obamacare is passed – or implemented – it’s already been passed. If it’s implemented fully, it’ll be another $2,500 on top.”
- “I spent my life in the private sector. I know why jobs come and why they go. And, they’re going now because of the policies of this administration.”
- He said that by now we’d have unemployment at 5.4 percent. The difference between where it is and 5.4 percent is 9 million American without work. I wasn’t the one that said 5.4 percent. This was the president’s plan – didn’t get there.”
Not Only Did Obama not Succeed in Halving the Deficit, He Actually Doubled It (Quadruple Fail?):
- “…when he was running for office, he could cut the deficit in half. Instead, he’s doubled it.”
Ryan’s Not the Only Medicare and Social Security Reformer (Yes, We’re talking about You, Barack):
- “He said he would have by now put forward a plan to reform Medicare and Social Security because he pointed out they’re on the road to bankruptcy. He would reform them. He’d get that done. He hasn’t even made a proposal on either one.”
- “He said in his first year he’d put out an immigration plan that would deal with out immigration challenges – he didn’t even file it.”
- “Now, when the president ran for office, he said that he’d put in place, in his first year, a piece of legislation — he’d file a bill in his first year that would reform our — our immigration system, protect legal immigration, stop illegal immigration. He didn’t do it. He had a Democrat House and Democrat Senate, supermajority in both houses. Why did he fail to even promote legislation that would have provided an answer for those that want to come here legally and for those that are here illegally today?”
What Happens In Vegas Apparently Makes an Appearance at Political Debates…When Benghazi Is Involved:
- “But I find more troubling than this that on — on the day following the assassination of the United States ambassador — the first time that’s happened since 1979 — when we have four Americans killed there, when apparently we didn’t know what happened, that the president the day after that happened flies to Las Vegas for a political fundraiser, then the next day to Colorado for another event, another political event, I think these — these actions taken by a president and a leader have symbolic significance, and perhaps even material significance, in that you’d hoped that during that time we could call in the people who were actually eyewitnesses. We’ve read their accounts now about what happened. It was very clear this was not a demonstration. This was an attack by terrorists.”
Gun Control – Just Furious:
- “The — the greatest failure we’ve had with regards to gun violence, in some respects, is what is known as Fast and Furious, which was a program under this administration — and how it worked exactly, I think we don’t know precisely — but where thousands of automatic and — and AK-47-type weapons were — were given to people that ultimately gave them to — to drug lords. They used those weapons against — against their own citizens and killed Americans with them.”
To recap, President Obama has failed in gun control, deficit control, immigration reform, entitlement reform, foreign policy, job creation, energy policy, and taxation. We’re left scratching our heads about what he has actually achieved during his tenure. We bet the American public was too last night.